Humans and Island Environments
The Foundation is in the process of planning the 7th International Conference on Environmental Future (7ICEF), entitled Humans and island environments.
The 7th ICEF aims to provide a forum for discussion and debate on the current and future issues surrounding island environments, bringing together islanders, researchers, managers, and NGOs from a broad array of disciplines and fields. The underlying questions are: how have islands aided our understanding of human-environment interactions? What are the latest directions in island biological and cultural conservation? Where should island conservation efforts be focused? and, What conservation lessons do islands have for the rest of the world?
Sixteen broad themes are proposed for the conference:
- What is the importance of islands to environmental conservation?
- How have humans changed island ecosystems through history?
- What are the future challenges for island ecology and evolution?
- How can island conservation contribute to human wellbeing?
- How are islands dealing with the challenge of balancing development with sustainability?
- How can we incorporate the value of island environments into conservation?
- How can indigenous and local knowledge (ILK) be used to improve island environmental futures?
- How can we build island communities that are resilient to the impacts of climate change and environmental hazards?
- What role can the humanities play in island conservation?
- How does environmental governance on islands currently operate and what forms of governance produce the best outcomes?
- How can we improve island conservation through integrated marine and terrestrial management?
- What is the current state of knowledge of island extinctions and how can this be used to set baselines for restoration?
- How well are island conservation issues addressed in international conventions and agreements?
- What have we learnt about invasive species on islands and what are the best strategies for dealing with them in the future?
- What is the role of environmental education on islands?
- What are the island conservation lessons for the planet?
Review papers on each of these themes are being commissioned and will be published in Environmental Conservation prior to the conference.
The conference is provisionally scheduled to take place in early 2018. The Foundation is working on preparations for the conference in cooperation with a broad group of islanders, conservation practitioners, and researchers.
The full proposal document for the conference can be downloaded here: